The purpose of using a rental walk through checklist is to protect the rental agent or company, as well as the renter from unexpected liabilities. When both parties are aware of the state the property is in there are no surprises. Therefore, if and when something is malfunctioning, both parties can refer back to the rental walk through checklist to confirm whether or not the issue was listed initially.
How to Use the Rental Walk Through Checklist Template
- First, both the rental agent and the renter should agree to review and document the checklist as they walk through the property. This exercise promotes transparency and trust between both parties.
- Second, both parties should understand what the different codes are for applicable issues and how the codes will be used to identify issues with rooms or identify when rooms are in good condition.
- Third, both parties should walk through each room of the property making detailed notes on the checklist (using applicable codes) as to whether or not there are any issues with any of the rooms. If not, both parties should note room is in good condition.
Tips for Using the Rental Walk Through Checklist
- It would be helpful for name and contact information to be written on both checklists. Both the rental agent and the renter’s information should be shown in its entirety, along with the date and time the checklist was completed.
- When an issue arises with respect to the property, both parties can refer back to the rental walk through checklist and since they should have the same information, there should be no question about the validity of the issue. Both parties should keep their documents in a safe and accessible place for future reference.
Utilization of the rental walk through checklist is a great opportunity for both parties to see and document any pre-existing issues together. Smart rental agents and smarter renters understand the benefits of using the checklist for their respective protection and both parties should be more comfortable using the rental walk through checklist because it promotes trust.
Download: Rental Walk Through Checklist